Arcade classic brought into the 21st century
Games industry legends Atari have today released what is being billed as the first original sequel to the hit arcade game Asteroids: Asteroids GUNNER.
The dual control stick space sim stays true to the originals gameplay, albeit with much, much better graphics.
The new version sees the user take control of the Gunner on a journey across the galaxies, blasting his way through deadly asteroid fields and alien fleets as he works his way to the top of the gritty crystal mining industry. With three different ships under his command and three dangerous galaxies with 150 total enemy waves to crush, players will have a literal and metaphorical blast as they gain rank promotions and collect cosmic crystals in order to buy upgrades that will transform their space crafts into undeniable asteroid-destroying machines.
- Three all-new galaxies to explore and conquer, with 150 waves of asteroids and alien warships to obliterate
- Dual-stick controls for firing and movement, perfect for non-stop blasting action
- Access to three unique space crafts to pilot: the Miner, the Bomber and the Dart
- Legions of power-ups and upgrades to customize your ship and turn it into an unstoppable force
- Earn Crystals and purchase Space Bucks to unlock new galaxies and powerful upgrades
- An extensive achievement system that lets you earn ranks… and bragging rights
- OpenFeint and Game Center integration
We’ve had a quick play on it and it’s quite fun, though it could take a while to get to grips with some of the customisable options available.
Asteroids: GUNNER is available for free from the iTunes App store, here.